Friday 17 August 2012

A change of plan


How hot is too hot? A question I ask myself daily at the moment. The humidity and heat this time of year in Korea is unbearable even when I am indoors. So training at a high intensity out in the sun (from 6am it is 30c most days) has taken its toll.

Therefore I am re-jigging my final month of DoMore8.0, but only slightly.

With only 30 days to go I have been feeling that although my training until now has seen me make a huge improvement in my fitness, health, body composition and all round ability as and athlete I have reached an impasse with simply running (albeit varying in type of run) and body weight resistance exercises out in the baking heat. Therefore I have joined a cheap local gym.

The goal of DoMore.80 is to as I stated in the beginning,

            "As people without personal trainers and free time, but instead swamped with tasks and responsibility, the point of this is to prove that I can do it. That we can do it, that it takes more will power and application than supplements and magazine dreams to achieve what we want. Of course we need the knowledge, but it doesn’t take a genius to know that our healthy life and fitness comes pretty much from eating more of the good and less of the bad, and simply "Doing More".

Joining the gym and using it to my advantage will allow me to fully utilise my efforts in the final 30 days of the program. For anyone who knows what it is like to exercise in this type of extreme heat and humidity it is impossible to achieve your full potential when you are being sapped by the conditions.

Joining the gym will not change my exercise style (continuing with HIIT and CrossFit style routines along with other strength work) and I will continue to do my 3-4 times per week challenging runs. But for the resistance and more anaerobic work the heat is detrimental to both the efficiency and effectiveness of my training and my health. I know i miss the gym sometimes so I will also take this into consideration making the most of my efforts and pushing hard to achieve the results I want.

So rather than seem like I am making excuses, I wish to update the status of the program. The nutrition will remain along with the style of training (both aerobic and anaerobic), rest, recovery except this time the more physically taxing work will be done inside, next to an industrial sized wind fan. That is it. (On a side note the gym membership actually on cost me 40,000W/$40/£18 which in my experience is pretty cheap. So I am not massively out of pocket either).

I will still endeavor to-

Eat clean. Run fast. Lift heavy. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment